Eperon d'Or

Museum
Izegem

In 1930 the Vandommele brothers order the construction of this special building in Art Deco style for their shoe factory Eperon d'Or. As from June 2017, the completely renovated building will accommodate the city’s brand-new shoe and brush museum.

One man, Edward Dierick, plays an important role in the development of the Izegem shoe industry. In 1830 he obtains a patent for a waterproof shoe, and he is furthermore such a skilled craftsman that he soon becomes the supplier of the upper class. Emiel Vandommele, an apprentice of Dierick’s, establishes his own business in 1863 and decides to focus on the production of luxury shoes. The Vandommele company moves to this location in 1909, and the Art Deco factory is built around 1930.

The shoes are still largely made by hand: expensive, exclusive craftsmanship that is highly sought after internationally as well. Eperon d'Or is the supplier of the Belgian and Luxembourg courts, which is demonstrated by the coats of arms on the frieze of the façade.

The factory ceases operation in 1967: it is unable to compete with the Italian shoe manufacturers, which pay very low wages. The building is listed as a monument in 1999. It will accommodate the brush and shoe museum as from June 2017. The museum will introduce you to the history of both industries in an original and fascinating manner. An absolute must: the evolution of footwear fashion since the early 19th century on the basis of original Izegem shoes, including exceptional luxury women’s shoes from the peak period of the 1920s and 1930s.

Theme: 
Heritage
Industrial Heritage
Child Friendly
Label: 
Q-label

Contact information

Location: 
Eperon d'Or
Prins Albertlaan 5
8870 Izegem
Phone/Fax:
+32 51 31 64 46

Price information

Price:
Paying
Standard price: 
€6.00

Facilities

Audio Guide
Educational Programs
Group Visits
Individual Visits
Parking
Shop
Toilet
wifi
Wifi

On the map

Do

Biking

Hiking

Boat

Horseriding

Touring

Other

Food and drinks

Sleep

Practical info

Choose a category on the left side to use the map.
Back to top Back to top